I’ve been making progress on a number of quilts this week. I went through a huge unorganized pile of quilts and quilt tops and organized them into several categories:
- Quilts needing a binding
- Quilts needing finishing touches
- Quilt tops that I would like to finish sooner
- Quilt tops that I can finish later
- and, Finished quilts.
So I got the binding put on one quilt. I’ll show that one later–the pics I took were not good. And today I decided to get out the star blocks I had made at that Alex Anderson workshop back in March and get it finished. If you remember, I wanted the stars to float on top of the focus fabric that I had chosen as a background.
This is how I did it. I took the yardage of the focus fabric and draped it on my design wall. Then I started arranging the stars on it. Believe it or not, I liked my first arrangement, and I was surprised to find that I didn’t think I needed any more stars. Then I got some graph paper and drew a schematic for where the stars would be placed. I made it easy on myself by making the plan on a grid of 6 and 12 inches (the size of the stars.) Then I took a photo of the star’s placement on the design wall, and printed that out as a guide for where to place each star.
By using the grid/graph paper pattern, I figured out how I would be able to piece it together, and made a list of how many and what size pieces I would need to cut out (of the focus fabric.) I checked this twice (because that is where you can make a lot of mistakes…) I only cut one piece wrong–I cut it 11 1/2 inches instead of 12 1/2 inches. There was nothing to be done but to cut a 1 1/2 inch strip to add to that piece (at that point I didn’t have enough fabric left to cut a 12 1/2 inc piece.) In the long run, I don’t think anybody will notice (except me, once in a while.)
And then, referring carefully to my reference photo and my graph drawing, I pieced it together. I even figured out what I will use for a backing. Tomorrow I will put that together and maybe get a sandwich made!
I am excited about the possibility of a new springtime bed quilt.